Free Preschool Program
10:29 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
Join us each week to explore new worlds through reading.
Storytime at the Carnegie is brought to you by the Herbert and Vivian Olson Children’s Reading Program, and is sponsored by the Friends of the Carnegie and the City of Bemidji Parks & Recreation Department.
Join us for our first storytime event on Monday, September 9th!
“The fire of literacy is created by the sparks between a child, a book, and the person reading.”
Interested in Volunteering?
Bemidji’s historic Carnegie Library has become the home of a children’s reading program, coming full circle to its original purpose after more than 100 years.
Storytime at the Carnegie was created thanks to a generous donation from the Herbert and Vivian Olson Children’s Reading Program, in support of early childhood education and children’s literacy. It is sponsored by the Friends of the Carnegie and the City of Bemidji Parks & Recreation Department. This free pre-school program will run every Monday from 10:29 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. at the Carnegie Library, beginning Monday, September 9.
Research shows that the single best predictor of a child’s success in school is being read to. Academic achievement and good test scores result not from flash cards, workbooks, fancy preschools, or computers, but from Mom or Dad taking the time every day or night to sit and read wonderful books to their child.
Storytime initially will be a weekly program for preschool age children (3-5). The Friends of the Carnegie plan to expand the program to include sessions for older children, and special events such as poetry reading and writing, craft projects, and readings by local authors.
As a volunteer for Storytime at the Carnegie we hope that you will share your love of reading and literacy and help children to become lifelong readers.
Here is some information to help you decide if you would like to be a volunteer at Storytime.
- Two volunteers are needed to do Storytime each week - One will do the reading and one will be a Storytime helper.
- Volunteers will have a love of books and reading and want to share with preschoolers.
- Volunteers need to be flexible during Storytime.
- Volunteers will need to have a Bemidji Public Library card (in order to checkout materials to use for Storytime).
- Storytime will be 30-45 minutes but allow for prep/greeting and cleanup.
- Themes will be chosen each week. A book suggestion list will be provided for you to use for each theme.
- There will be a sign-up system, and volunteers can sign up for as many sessions as they want.
- We may be adding a craft during storytime in the future so that will be an opportunity for volunteers who like to do crafts.
- We also may add summer programming in the future for school age children or other programs, and additional volunteers may be needed.
- Each volunteer is required to have a background check which will be paid for by the Friends of the Carnegie.
*** To volunteer, click on the link to our email. Let us know that you have read the volunteer information and we will let you know what you need to do to become a Storytime volunteer.